How to Get A Perfect Celebrity Smile
Dental implants are becoming an increasingly popular solution to tooth loss. Tooth loss affects more than half of American adults over the age of 35. While it is common, it can also have serious health effects.
Ever wondered how Gwen Stefani got her perfect smile, or what Tom Cruise did to get those teeth alignment?
If you are missing a tooth, your smile has more than just an unattractive gap: It may also have an increased risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and further tooth loss. Our San Diego dental implants dentist can help.
Once our dental implants specialist determines you are qualified for dental implants, the next step is to insert them into your jawbone. There they will take the place of your missing tooth’s roots.
A single tooth implant requires a porcelain crown. If you are missing multiple teeth, several implants placed at strategic points throughout the jaw can be used to support a dental bridge or dentures. Our expert in Clairemont will help you determine the most appropriate restoration for your needs.
Dental implants in San Diego benefit your life and improve your self-esteem. Nobody will be able to tell that you have implants since they look and feel just like real teeth.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Dental Implants are composed of a unique metal that is biocompatible and fuses with the jawbone. As the bone heals in a process known as osseointegration, the implant becomes a firm foundation for the restoration. The process can take several months, but a temporary fix can be used to close the gap as you wait for your permanent restoration.
Once placed. Your implants will need good dental hygiene to ensure the implant site will heal, and you can see long-lasting results. Brush twice a day or after meals, floss every day and visit us for checkups as recommended. You may have other more specific aftercare instructions as well.
A dental implant fitted with a crown works just like your regular teeth for biting and chewing. And since the color of the crown can be made to match your surrounding teeth, it is unlikely anyone will even know that you have any implant. The implant will also keep your jawbone stimulated, which will prevent bone loss from occurring.
There Are Many Advantages to Dental Implants, Including:
The functional and cosmetic benefits of dental implants are particularly excellent for patients who have lost all of their teeth and have been fitted with dental implants to support a fixed bridge or an overdenture. The patient will once again be able to eat and speak as they used to, without the fear of their dentures falling out of their mouths.
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Durable and stable. Implants are a long-lasting replacement option for teeth that are missing or have been damaged beyond repair and are in need of extraction. Due to their many benefits, dental implants are considered the modern gold standard for tooth replacement.
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved comfort. Implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Last a lifetime. When properly cared for, dental implants can last a lifetime, making them one of the best investments for long-term tooth replacement. Studies have reported that the long-term success rate of implants is over 95%.
- Chewing and talking are made easy. Dental implants can help improve overall health. With healthy, full functioning teeth, patients can expand their diets and eat healthier foods again, like nuts and fruits.
How Long Does a Dental Implant Procedure Take?
Abutments are extensions of the implants that provide a base for the artificial teeth. You have to make a choice when placing dental implants for the first time. Either attach the abutment at that point or wait until the implants are fully healed and ready for the permanent teeth.
Attaching the abutments on the date of surgery will make them visible during the several months that healing takes place. If they are connected when ready for permanent teeth, a minor dental procedure will be needed to open the gum and attach the abutment.
Depending on its location and complexity, implant placement can take as little as 45 minutes to an hour. There will be a two week healing period necessary before the permanent teeth can be attached.
Implants are a personal choice and either way Dr. Kurt ensures that her patients receive among the finest and most stable dental implants San Diego can provide.
What is the Tooth Implants Process?
Getting dental implants is a relatively simple process that involves three steps:
- Consultation. During the discussion and planning stage, the dental surgeon will visually examine the site in the mouth where a dental implant will take place as well as look at dental imaging studies (X-rays, panoramic films, and CT scans). At this time, the quality and quantity of jawbone are assessed to determine if bone graft procedure must take place.
- Surgical Procedure. Once we have determined that a dental implant is possible in the desired location, the patient will return for surgical procedures for the dental implant. During all surgical procedure appointments, the patient is usually given a local anesthetic to numb:
The first stage of oral surgery often involves a tooth or teeth extraction. Often, the site of a dental implant still has an existing damaged tooth present. To prepare for placement of a dental implant; we will perform a tooth extraction.
More often than not, an “alveolar bone graft” is placed to achieve a solid base of bone for the implant. This site will be allowed to heal for two to six months.
A sinus lift is performed to raise the sinus floor and graft more bone into the sinus. Will make more bone available to support a dental implant.
- Healing Process. During this healing phase, a temporary denture can be done to replace missing teeth for esthetic purposes. Healing time depends greatly on the quality of bone present. Healing time is usually anywhere from two to six months. During this period, osseointegration should be taking place.
What Else To Expect During a Dental Implant Procedure
In some cases, patients may require additional procedures to prepare the mouth for dental implants, such as tooth extractions, bone grafting or a sinus lift. Dr. Kurt will advise you on other surgeries during your consultation, and ensure you receive the comprehensive care necessary for an optimal surgical outcome.
These other procedures will add months to the overall time frame required to achieve a successful dental implant outcome. While it can be frustrating to have to wait for healing to occur, failing to prepare for dental implants entirely can create unnecessary complications. Dr. Kurt is a perfectionist in her work and as a result, is praised by her peers and patients alike as among the best dental implant surgeon San Diego has. There are no shortcuts taken, and the result is world class dental implants that provide decades of service to her patients.
Our staff will come and see you and provide you with any pre operative instructions and medications you may need. If you have any questions or feel nervous, don’t hesitate to speak with us. Your comfort is our priority. Once you’re ready, we will transport you to the surgical suite. Anesthesia will be applied, and your dental implant surgeon will begin to work.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
If you are missing one or more teeth, you may want to consider dental implants. There are many benefits of dental implants, and they are the most long-lasting and efficient solution to replace your missing teeth.Unfortunately, not everyone is an ideal candidate for dental implants.
Before considering the possibility of dental implants, make sure that you qualify in these first:
- Your teeth and gums need to be healthy.
- You need to have sufficient bone density to support the dental implant.
- Are committed to good oral hygiene.
- Do not suffer from uncontrolled diabetes or autoimmune disorders which may impact your ability to heal.
- Have not had treatment with bisphosphonate medications (usually for cancer treatment).
- Are non-smokers or are willing to stop smoking during the dental implant process.
- Understand that the process can take four to twelve months and must be ready to commit this amount of time to the dental implant procedure.
- After placing the bone material, it can take a full six months to heal. After the bone grafting site has improved, the placing of the implant may occur. After placing the implant, it can take an additional six months to heal before installing the crown.
What Are Dental Implants Made Of?
When looking for dental implants, you have to make sure the materials used are of the best quality available. At Serena Family & Cosmetic Dentistry we specialize in two kinds, depending on your dental needs. For dental implants like crowns we use the following:
- E-Max Crown: They are ceramic-made which are perfect for anterior teeth. They are durable and aesthetic.
- Zirconium: Sturdy, natural looking, long-lasting, and can vary in color, size, and shape.
The most experienced dental practices create 15 crowns on a good month, but Dr. Kurt can do that in half a day’s work thanks to the technology used in her office.
What Can I Expect After Dental Implant Surgery?
As noted earlier, you will likely experience some degree of discomfort after your surgery. Common symptoms may include the following:
- Minor bruising
- Pain from the implant site itself
- Gum and face swelling
- Slight bleeding
If discomfort is present, we may prescribe or recommend a pain medication to relieve your minor pain. However, if your pain stays or worsens over time, contact your dentist as soon as possible.
To ensure a healthy recovery, you must follow an aftercare guide. Aftercare instructions may include the following:
- Avoid hard and crunchy foods, opting for soft foods instead.
- Continue regular brushing and flossing daily.
- Have regular check-ups
- Use antibacterial mouth rinse.
What is the Difference Between Dental Implants and Dentures?
Dentures are false teeth, and although their quality has improved, they’re not ideal for everyone. If not secured with denture adhesive, dentures might slip out of place while eating or speaking, and partial dentures might promote infection and decay in other teeth if they aren’t fitted properly, which may increase the risk that you would need a tooth filling on the abutment (adjoining) tooth. That said, dentures may be the best choice for people whose gums and jaw are weak or unhealthy.
If you are missing teeth and your gums and jaw are healthy, you may benefit from dental implants, which are replacement teeth that are implanted surgically into the jawbone.
With good oral hygiene, dental implants can last for 20 years or more without the need for replacement. Dental implants are often a popular choice for people who have only one or two teeth missing, but they can be an alternative to dentures if you have several missing teeth. A
As long as your gums and jaw are healthy, two or more implants can serve as a base of support for several replacement teeth.
Advanced Technology To Achieve High Dentistry
At Serena Family, we practice our craft with the most advanced German-engineered dental equipment, and we offer a warranty, hence, guaranteeing quality every time.
We use the latest Sirona technology for all procedures, including the CAD/CAM CEREC MC X machine that allows us to create your crown on the same day of your visit.
Also, this equipment, along with the CEREC Omnicam, a state-of-the-art device that replaces conventional tray impressions, always delivers perfect dental restorations in a fraction of the time.
Serena Family is proud to own the CEREC MC XL, the greatest milling machine available to dentists for CAD/CAM (Computer Aided Design / Computer Aided Manufacturing).
The CEREC is employed to examine your mouth before using a 3D printer to make your crown during your follow-up visit. Also, your dental treatment should be faster and more efficient.
Latest News & Articles Regarding Your Oral Health
Take some time to read the latest news and articles regarding your oral health. Includes helpful tips on how to improve your dental health and articles regarding innovations in the dental world.
Finally, we also include some interesting reads for a better understanding of the dental and medical field. At Serena Family & Cosmetic Dentistry we care about you, but most of all, we value your trust.